Facts and Finds

Facebook Twitter Linkedin Plusone Email

factsfinds

Let’s Do Lunch

lunchShould you take a lunch break or not? You’d be surprised how complicated the laws on lunch are – Federal law doesn’t require employers to provide one but many states do.  However, no one can make you take a break if you don’t want to. And even more wacky, if you do take a break, you can be fired for working while off the clock.

Meanwhile, only about 35 percent of American workers say that they usually take a lunch break, and the other 65 percent say they either skip lunch altogether or eat at their desk.

Sources: “Employers don’t have to require lunch breaks” cbsnews.com and “America’s lunch hour on the endangered list” msnbc.com

Who Hates Monday?

This just confirms the obvious: People who like their jobs – who feel engaged and respected at work – feel pretty good about starting the workweek every Monday. But those who don’t like their jobs – who feel disengaged and undervalued – well, they hate Monday.

It took a Gallup poll to demonstrate how happiness plays out across the work week. About 95 percent of engaged workers report feeling happy yesterday whether it’s the weekend or the work week. Yet actively disengaged workers report a plummet in happiness as soon as Monday dawns. Even during the weekend, they report only 82-85 percent happiness and during the week happiness falls to a low of 74 percent by Tuesday.

Conclusion? If you want happiness, choose a job you love.

Source: Gallup.com July 23 2012 “Mondays Not So ‘Blue’ for Engaged Employees”

College Spending Down

downIn 2012 American college students spent about $20,902 a year on college.

That’s down from a high of $25,097 in 2010. Yet tuition continues to rise, so what gives?

The answer is that college students are cutting costs just like everyone else.

  • 29 percent of new high school graduates chose to attend lower cost two-year public colleges, up from 23 percent in 2010.
  • 51 percent of new college students chose to live at home to save on college costs, up from 43 percent in 2010.
  • 69 percent of families reported that they eliminated certain colleges from consideration because of cost.
  • 45 percent of students received federal and state grants, up from 30 percent in 2010.

Still, 71 percent of students and 70 percent of their parents agree that a college education is necessary for their future occupation. While parents are taking on less of the cost of college, students are assuming more. Each year since 2008, college students have borrowed more and contributed more of their own savings and income to make up the difference.

Source: How America Pays 2010, Sallie Mae

Give It the Old College App

appThe Digital Marketing Coordinator for McGraw Hill Education, Angela Santiago, recommends her favorite apps for college students. Here are a few you may not have heard of before:

  • Foursquare for Universities: The famous Foursquare locator app, only tailored for university campuses.
  • Pulse: A highly visual news reader app, organized by interests.
  • Exam Support: A meditation app to sooth your jangled pre-exam nerves.
  • g-Flash + Flashcards and Tests (itunes.apple.com) Create your own flash cards and study up!
  • Diigo: Highlight and add notes to web pages, also archive, organize and search.
  • Bubbl.us: Organize your thoughts and ideas with this mind-mapping tool.

Source: www.socialbrite.org

 

Facebook Twitter Linkedin Plusone Email